Strats Weekly + Giveaway - 19 October 2015 - 9:00pm EDT

stratsweekly

##Watch the Strats Weekly here || Join the conversation on Mumble

Strats Weekly Talking Points:

(sequence and additional points TBD based on other contributions)

###This week’s guest: @gohanthesaiyan

• Who’s playing what these days?
  • Halo 5 HYPE
  • The pros, cons, and implications of review embargoes
  • [Additional gaming topics TBD; post a suggestion!]
  • Top Posts of the Week
  • Super-secret announcement!
  • Weekly Props

This week, we’ve got a grab-bag of games from several donors (one key/copy of each):

#Trine 2

Courtesy of @Mohomohommad

#Legend of Grimrock 2

Courtesy of @Zniri

#A Fistful of Gun

Courtesy of the Strats cache :wink:

Still playing Metal Gear Online. Finally gained an understanding and I can sometimes break even on k/d. The main point is I sometimes even get serious match points playing support with the scout class.

Other than that, still playing some Broforce and Dirty Bomb. I also broke down and paid for a Blade & Soul pack. The action just looked too exciting and I’m determined to play an MMO! Too late to participate in this past weekend’s alpha but I’ll be in the closed beta starting Oct. 30th.

Is embargo the proper term for what takes place? I don’t think so. Time delay sounds better. If you place an embargo on reviews then you are banning them but the gaming community uses that term when reviews are simply on hold so that all news sites release them simultaneously.

I think they are fine when the developer invites multiple journalists to preview the game at the same time. If you (journalist) want the scoop then you need to offer the developer something so they will give you an exclusive interview and hands-on with the project.

Seems that’s the industry’s term for it (and not just in gaming).

Also, we’re experimenting with posting more of our topics on the upfront to encourage people to look into things prior to the Weekly, but we’d prefer most of the discussion happen there :wink:

Just because they adopted it doesn’t mean they are using the word correctly.

Edit - :wink:

Edit2 - Usually I am just listening during the meeting while tending to other things. I thought I would add my thoughts here while I had time. I’ll be happy to remove them.

I’ve never known the media to be concerned with the semantics of their own terminology, only that of everyone else, so I don’t expect we’ll see a shift :wink:

Edit:
Nah, leave it; I know you do this most days since you often can’t participate. That note was more for the other folks coming in here so they don’t think we’re ready to launch full-on into discussion in this thread :wink:

Edit 2:
Get un-deleted :wink:

Will there be a @Vocino tonight? Something something, sell people on Destiny, something.

It should be @Vocino and @tommy2118 tonight along with special guest @gohanthesaiyan, unless something’s changed and nobody told me (which happens from time to time ;)); I’ve got a prior commitment, so I can’t come play :’(

OK, well, I’d like to suggest we talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly of Destiny for a minute or two.

For note:
I transfer notes out of here to our detailed flow for each show; we try to squeeze in as much as we can within the hour. I don’t typically update the loosely-defined schedule in the OP, but that doesn’t mean we won’t use a provided idea if we can fit it in (we plan some flexibility in each week for suggestions as well as the inevitable tangents cough @senNish cough) :wink:

What can I say, Strats gets me worked up.

I made a reminder on my calendar to tune in, I always forget! :rip:

30-minutes-to-go HYPE!

All giveaway stuff has been sent out; see you lot for another awesome Weekly next Monday :wink: