Streaming tips?

elderscrollsonline
pc

Hi all,

So I know everyone who streams would love to have a lot of viewers. I was wondering does anyone in our community already have a lot?

I got up this morning to go to work for a few hours and I figured I’d look around at the games I play. At 5:50am EST there isn’t a soul streaming ESO. That would mean anyone look to watch gameplay for ESO at that time would be watching me. If you played for quite a few hours that day you would maybe stay at the top of the channel.

Does anyone else have any tips. I know having a set schedule and streaming as much as possible is idea but most of us work and have lives. Id love to be able to host some of you guys when I’m not on even though it wont probably gain you that many viewers starting off.

The A+ number 1 rule of thumb (or wrist) to remember is this: interact with your viewers. More than anything else, this is what nets and maintains viewers. Consistency is good, schedules are great, borders/decals/etc. help, and game choice can be important, but none of it matters if you’re not watching for viewers joining your stream, welcoming them, and responding to their chat messages.

I presume there are other options out there, but myself and a few other people use Chatty; it’s a simple Twitch chat application written in Java (we know you don’t like it, @Vocino, because boo/hiss .jar ;)) that can be configured to give you an audio cue when you receive a message. This ensures that you’re not missing anything being typed to you.

Outside of that, make sure you’re including your viewers in some way in what you’re doing. For example, I’ve been streaming Gave Dev Tycoon and I ask my chat to help me with naming all the games my company makes. Keeping them engaged helps them stay entertained and, thus, hang out with you. Be creative, try different avenues to establish interaction, and pretty soon you’ll start to see people coming back for subsequent streams to hang out with you; best of luck :wink:

I’ve just barely scratched the surface of streaming, but as a viewer, I’m not sure how I feel about this. I prefer to lurk. Personally, I don’t want to be called out by the streamer when I join. I would rather him acknowledge me when I make an effort to speak up and make my presence known.

Is it really common practice for the streamer to monitor chat and call out every viewer as they join?

In a larger stream, no, but in smaller streams with few concurrent viewers it’s important to welcome people, IMO, especially if they’ve gone through the effort to set up a Twitch account. If they end up lurking after that then it’s their decision, but I’ve found the overwhelming-majority of people on Twitch who join my stream while logged in are interested in interaction. Chatty lets me see when people join who are logged in (there is sometimes a slight delay because the Twitch API and refresh rate of Chatty aren’t always playing nice) and I try to welcome those individuals by name.

Once your stream is larger with more concurrent viewers, most people are there to watch you similar to live TV, but there appears, to me, to be a desire for a more personal level of interaction when there’s a small number of people in a stream at the same time.

I personally call everyone out in stream in order to see if they stick around or come back when I’m streaming live.

For me personally, I wait until a new person says ‘hi’ or speaks in chat before I welcome them. I don’t call out lurkers. The only time I’ll call out someone is if they’re a regular to my stream. But if they’re new, I just let them do their thing.

To add onto the whole “calling out lurkers” section I’ve tried both… at first I liked to welcome everyone who joined and then one day I decided to try the opposite and only welcome them if they said something in chat. And in my experience I’ve found out what is best for me is to wait until something is said to welcome. I have many people who come to my streams and watch them but lurk including bigger streamers that I’ve made friends with that would instantly leave if they were called out but that is just my experience and some people like being called out that’s how I pulled some of my first viewers in.

My tips are the plain tips you would get anywhere else but I have found that having fun and interacting with your viewers does wonders. Some other tips I would have is if you watch a streamer you like talk to them and try to make friends I’ve made friends with a few streamers just by talking to them and doing my small 3 person raid and they will turn around and host me with 100 viewers and then turn around and raid me. (Obviously do it to make friends and not gain the viewers)

Long story short… figure out which works the best welcoming everyone or welcoming those who chat, have fun, interact with your viewers, make friends, and just try to be that one guy that stands out.

I call out the lurkers. I’d say 70% of the time, they remain silent, 20% of the time they’ll say hi and resume lurking, and 10% they become more chatty. I’ve never had people leave my stream for just saying hi and acknowledging that I’m happy they’re there, and that I appreciate them stopping by, even if it’s just for a bit to see what’s going on.

Most of the stuff that’s been said is all stuff I follow, so you’ve already got sound advice. I think the goal is to make your channel stand out. Retention is (generally) based on doing or being something unique. Give them a reason to be at your channel, not anywhere else.