The Gates of Ahn'Qiraj

worldofwarcraft

While reading the Why I can’t MMO anymore post, the synapses in my brain connected to remind me of how much fun opening The Gates of Ahn’Qiraj was during my World of Warcrack addiction.

For those of you who missed this event - can’t believe it’s been 11 years - this was a massive world quest/event that required significant coordination to complete and in turn, open The Gates of Ahn’Qiraj.

Existing in a world before a dumbed down version of WoW, player socialization reigned supreme as people looked for others to share in this common goal - in fact it was this event that helped connect me to my WoW guild.

Maybe it’s just me reminiscing, but I miss events such as these.

Oh man, Ahn’Qiraj. The opening of the gates has a super special nostalgia to me, because of what was going on at the time. I was in a guild that was in a makeshift alliance with Fury, the best Alliance raiding guild on Medivh at the time (first guild in the world to 4/7 BWL). Fury realized that to be the first server to open the gates, the whole server needed to be united. So, they formed an alliance with Ascent, the best horde raiding guild on the server (Ascent had the world first Ragnaros kill). Materials were funneled from Alliance to Horde and vice versa (mainly because of the 3-4 Alliance to 1 Horde ratio).

I still remember the week that we got the world first gates opening. Mannoroth was our biggest competitor in terms of everything (PvE, PvP, etc) and people were flooding the server with alts to slow the server down and try to get the server population to max so the regular Medivh players wouldn’t be able to log in. But man, when the GM of Fury rang that gong, the world server instantly crashed. And it kept crashing. Blizzard couldn’t keep up. The guilds tried attacking major locations to draw people away from Sithilus. But, that didn’t really work.

I don’t think we as gamers will see an event like the AQ gates opening ever again. I know I won’t and I was sitting right to the left of the gong when Medivh became the world first server to open AQ.

Heh, Datto was soloing this during his stream last night. Was fun reminiscing and seeing quite a few OG WoW players recalling all of the 40 man raid days.