The Time Has Come!

Okay, after some griping and grumbling on my own side I have decided that I am going to get a separate desktop in order to run my games. I love my little MBP but he is really angry at me for running all these games on him and I understand. Not to mention it would be nice to play more than 1/10th of the titles mentioned on the forums!

With that being said, I am doing a lot of work and house sitting over the next few weeks in order to save up and buy my own PC. I have heard from many people that, obviously, building is the way to go. I have been scoping out craigslist for older gaming rigs as well, that way I could upgrade as I go?

I have literally no experience building a PC. Unfortunately for now I don’t think I will be able to spend more than a grand, because I also need to be working towards getting stuff around for when I move into my new place. Still, I plan on gaming throughout my senior year at college and maybe even streaming at some point.

As far as budget, my starting budget would probably be around 600 by mid June, but that is subject to increase depending on if I can somehow sell a few things as well as how much my two house sitting jobs plan on paying me.

I know this is a low budget, and honestly if there’s anyway to go lower than 600 that would be ideal. I just feel like because I am running OS I am missing out on a lot of wonderful titles, but I don’t really want to run bootcamp or parallels.

I’m looking for any feedback at all from you guys. I have contacted a few friends of friends who are selling their older gaming rigs, so maybe that is the way to go? My boyfriend has built his own computer (which he recently sold or I would just steal that) so he has experience as far as the actual building goes and said he would be happy to do it for me if I am nervous of physically building it myself.

Thanks so much! Any advice or recommendations is appreciated greatly.
McKenzie

Any advice on first computers?

1K is more than enough for a solid PC (minus monitor/windows/etc.). I usually get my parts on amazon, good prices and a lot of products.

So i built my computer a couple of months ago with help from the guys on here and i gotta say one of the best things you can do is go to this website http://pcpartpicker.com/

First of all, good luck and have fun putting together your own rig. It seems daunting at first, but it really is a lot of fun, and it becomes your pride and joy when you start playing games on it.

Secondly, I think I built my first gaming rig for around 600 (not counting the monitor) and it was able to run just about everything, just by tweaking some settings. Was everything gorgeous all the time? No, but it still let you play fluidly.

I’ll update this with a shopping cart for you to eyeball so you can see what I’m talking about. I use NewEgg, but a lot of the folks here will provide you with PLENTY of resources, I’m sure.

-EDIT- Here you go. That will add items in your cart for a PC that should do the trick, and before taxes, is under $500. You can tweak what you’d like in there as needed, or if you would rather put more money into one thing or another. Again, just an idea of how cheap a functional build can actually be.

-EDIT2- I realized I forgot the OS on that. So if you don’t have a copy of Windows that you’d want to use, you’d have to add that as well.

What i did was find everythign that i wanted on the pcpartpicker and then ordered everything on amazon becuase i trusted it more. but there are builds on there for pretty decent price for a good gaming computer that you can check out

PC Part Picker is a great site but might I suggest adding the items to your wish list (not cart) on Amazon and then using the support Strats link in the top right instead. :smile:

Also, another great side is http://www.logicalincrements.com

It has a matrix of cost vs. power that’s pretty easy to follow.

Thanks so much for the quick feedback, everyone!

I do have a monitor currently, so that is isn’t a problem. I have checked new egg and that’s probably what I’m leaning towards, though I will certainly price check with Amazon. I know New Egg offers lots of bundle deals, so that’s pretty appealing too.

@DrizztDo_Urden69 I have seen that site before, Tommy has recommended it pretty highly so I have snooped around a bit.

Yeah like i said this community helped me build my beast of a computer a couple of months ago. You definitely did right by asking about it here haha. Tommy, vocino, and auth definitely put alot of input and led me in the right direction.

Before you get all crazy buying parts, I would suggest you decide what games you will actually be playing on your “gaming rig” since you’re working with a budget. Unless you’re going for Crysis 10 on Ultra Uber settings, you might not need all the fancy new hardware.

If your games don’t require a lot of massive hardware, maybe start with a motherboard and case that can expand then buy a lesser processor, video card.

I agree with @teh_ninjaneer. Plus, the great thing about a custom built rig is that you can upgrade it easily in the future.

Don’t forget the sound card hehe

Haha yes that is exactly what I’m thinking. As far as what I’m running, I’m planning on sticking with ESO and honestly I’d like to get into some of the more indie stuff and maybe even try a MOBA like Heroes of the Storm or something? I don’t know. I’m really up for anything. I’m not super crazy about graphics (you guys should see the quality I am running for ESO).

Even looking at cases makes my head spin. I know Tommy and I were talking about how it’s a lot of what you, personally, want but there are so many choices I end up going cross eyed because I don’t even know where to begin!

I think this is what you were trying to say :slight_smile:

Heroes of the Storm has potentially the best graphics quality of any MOBA, in my opinion, but overall they’re made to play on average hardware.

I recommend doing a single graphics card build with an middle-spec i7.

Wait, one big question is: Do you want to get into streaming?

If the answer is yes, you’ll want to make sure you have the CPU power to push that while gaming. Still 100% doable within your budget.

Yeah, Heroes of the Storm is easily the most graphic-intensive MOBA. It’s recommended video card is the Nvidia GTX 650. Even TESO recommends a GTX 560 Ti. Both of these cards are pretty lame by today’s standards (these cards are a couple years old now). If you can still find them they should be fairly cheap. Even a 700 series card should be relatively cheap.

This is a travesty, ESO is so beautiful.

That’s my rap name.

I won’t lie. I giggled at that.

As far as if I want to get into streaming: I think potentially, yes, I would like to do this but it is not high priority if that makes sense. I know you guys love my puns so you get to hear them regardless of streaming or not.

@Wayward Maybe I am just doing something wrong. I think my graphics card is the only thing that really struggles because I’ve got 16 GB of RAM and a 2.5 Intel Core i7 on the MBP, but it still seems to struggle with ESO.

I don’t know. I’m so bad at computers just give me one and I’ll play the games if that makes sense. :sweat_smile:

I think with the budget and games you’ve given us, we can come up with some suggested builds. I’ll look into making one up when I get to the office today.