After spending some time with Evolve this weekend I wanted to gauge the interest of other members to see if anyone else is going to pick up this amazing game. I encourage anyone that has played the Alpha this weekend or in October to share their experiences and help other members understand exactly what Evolve is about.
What is Evolve?
Essentially, it is a 4V1 PVP game that revolves around four players working together as a team to stop one player controlling a colossal monster. Each team consists of one of each class:
- Assault - Damage dealer. Assault carries heavy hitting weapons and a personal shield to tank damage.
- Trapper - Used to track down, detect, and trap the monster in a mobile arena.
- Medic - Usually a healer, the medic will debuff, heal and revive hunters.
- Support - A wide range of support abilities from shielding party members, debuffing the monster, using drones to scout the monster out and cloaking the group.
At launch there were will 3 different characters per class (Making for 12 characters) that bring unique weapons, skills and abilities to each game.
Each player has a role and you have to work as a team to win, the lone wolf will just get picked off. The monster is not the only threat, the wildlife in each map can hold it’s own and some can lead to an easy death. The amount of team work needed is perfect for Strats group play and if you like Left 4 Dead, you are going to love this. No game is ever the same.
There are also 4 different player controlled monsters at launch. Each monster has a different play style.
- Goliath - Heavy armor, land walking monster that can use fire, rocks, leaps and charges.
- Kraken - Flying, ranged monster that uses aerial lighting attacks or floating mines and vortexes to keep hunters away.
- Wraith - Hard hitting, stealth monster that deceives hunters with decoys while they pick off single targets by stealing them from long distances. Think Rogue.
- Behemoth - A giant rock monster that has just been revealed. It looks like a rolling fortress. This is a DLC monster, but is free if you pre-order the game.
The only game mode in the Alpha is the “hunt” game mode. This involves the monster starting and level one, eating the wildlife to grow larger while the hunters track it down and try to kill it. As it eats, it gains armor and can eventually evolve to stage two and than stage three. Each stage it can increase its abilities how the player sees fit, while gaining higher max hp and armor. Once stage three happens the objective changes to defend the power plant. The monster goes on the offensive to attack and if it succeeds, the game is over.
Other game modes include one involving monster eggs, where the monster has to defend several eggs throughout the map while the hunters try to destroy them. There is also one similar, where the hunters must find injured civilians and escort them back while the monster tries to stop them. There is a defend game mode where the hunters must protect a point from the monster, who has control over smaller minions to assault the point.
Finally there is the Evacuation mode. In short, this is a mini campaign consisting of 5 rounds with random objectives. After each round the outcome of the next is changed with a modifier depending on who won/loses. (There are a total of 800,000 combinations apparently).
So, what do you think about Evolve?