Top 10 Favourite Games of All Time!

I was just watching a YouTube video of someone’s top 10 games of all time, and I thought it would be fun to see the top 10 favourite (yes, Canadian spelling) games from the members of StratsCo.

So without further ado, here are my Top 11 Favourite Games of All Time:
Wait… wat? 11?
Yes. Two are tied at 10. Get over it!
I thought you said “without futher ado”. This seems like further ado…
I lied. Get over it!

1 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
2 - Ultima Online
3 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
4 - Fallout 3
5 - Final Fantasy X
6 - Mass Effect
7 - Metal Gear Solid 2
8 - Gran Turismo 4
9 - Portal 2
T10 - Heroes of Might and Magic 3
T10 - Super Smash Bros: Melee

Post yours below. And if you’re a real champ, feel free to elaborate on your decisions.

What is your favorite game soundtrack?

This topic is filled with low energy people! Get on my level son!

1… The first Halo

Spent so many hour dragging around a Xbox to various peoples houses to play this. It became such a thing that we would section off rooms for teams, one team in one bedroom and another in another room. Screen cheating was SO bad, even worse than Golden Eye but it defined shooters for me, ever since, shooters have kinda felt stale and slow.

2… The First Smash Bros

Really the entire series but if we wanna get technical then yeah the first one. We would come up with the most bullshit matches at my house. My brother ended up playing off against a couple friends, just going full on QQ mode after he got his ass beat. He forced the person to play play Jiggleypuff and then got ruined on that match too. Fun times.

3… EQ1 / The Realm (MMOs in general)

Really these 2 games were my gateway drug to MMOs. Eventually when I got a job I was playing The realm, a super dated game (that still exists today…) and transitioned into Everquest 1 and WoW and every other MMO out there almost.

4… Curse of Monkey Island

While I played the previous versions, this version alone boasted the most amazing parts of all of the games such as hand drawn scenes, an amazing score, comedy like no other (with a ton of references to other lucas games) and characters that are so amazingly funny and witty. My youngest brother always wanted us to play it for him and it’s one of the few games where I didn’t mind playing it 2-3 times in a day.

Stuff like this jacks up the nostalgia to 100%.

5… Day of the Tentacle

The comedy and story of the old school lucas arts games was amazing. This was my first REAL foray into adventure games. I had played things like Maniac Mansion and other games like it before but never really understood them or enjoyed what they were. This game really made me want to play more and there were SO many funny moments during the game that made it an amazing experience.

6… Survival games (Minecraft)

Survival games are a blast when played with others. Minecraft had a long run in my circle of friends and even here on strats for a bit. So many memories of making stuff on FiresofHeaven like:

(that wasn’t the one we made, can’t find our photo)

7… Zelda: OOT and Wind Waker

If I had to choose one, it would be OOT. My parents were super against us buying a Nintendo for some unknown reason, so I never got to play a Zelda game until OOT. So many things about the game made me love it and hate it. The water temple…1/2 naked great faries…yep, this game is one of the games that brought me into console RPGs.

8… God of War 3

Few games out there make you feel like an amazing badass. This game has you climbing on gods and titans killing every moron dumb enough to even think about killing you. Hell, one instance you bang a dudes wife and then murder the shit out of him. The game made you question your moral compass after and I really hoped for a decent sequel but nothing came for a decade.

9… Borderlands 2

Absolutely the best badguy in a game I have ever come across, at some point you think he may not be all that bad. Sure, you are going to kill the hell out of him but he may not be totally evil and then you go deeper. The dialogue that he did was amazing and I don’t know how gearbox will even come close to doing a follow-up. The entire game was amazing to play thru on a first go, follow up wasn’t nearly as impactful but 1st plays on all the DLC and main story was amazing.

10… Fable 2

Fable 2 was an amazing experience. It felt like a grown up version of Zelda, the combat and story was impressive. The sad part to me wasn’t fable 2, it was the follow up, Fable 3. It was such an extreme letdown after 2. They turned the franchise from an RPG into a land baron game where you are racing to get enough money to save the world!!!..

So many games unmentioned. I feel like the Adventure game scene is so over-looked now. It really got rolled up into the RPG scene. MMO’s have taken over all my time though lately and I don’t know if that speaks to the quality of the MMOs or the quality of other games vs the time sink of MMOs.

1. Everquest - first MMO I ever really got massively involved in
  2. Mass Effect - I’m including all three games into one entry. Deal with it.
  3. Minecraft - probably have more hours in this game than any other
  4. Borderlands 2
  5. Baldurs Gate 2
  6. Skyrim
  7. GTA 5
  8. Bioshock Infinite
  9. Dragon Age - sequels were decent, but the original was the best
  10. Legend of Zelda Link to the Past

edited because I forgot about Borderlands

GREAT game which I completely forgot about.
Personally, still not in MY top 10… But definitely gets an honorable mention.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
  2. Witcher 3
  3. God of War Series.
  4. Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
  6. Battlefield 3.
  7. Batman: Arkham City.
  8. King of Fighters 98
  9. Super Mario Galaxy.
  10. Red Dead Redemption.

Honorable mentions coming soon…

1. Dune II - this is the baby that got me hooked on RTS titles. It was buggy as all hell at times & rough around the edges, but boy did I sink time into it.
  2. Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness - my buddy & I used to dial directly via a modem to play multiplayer.
  3. Halo 2
  4. Destiny - the first game I can truly say I’ve been completely enrolled in.
  5. Fable - chicken kicker.
  6. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - if this isn’t on your list, I think you’re doing it wrong.
  7. Mario Kart - my buddy & I used to play this ever single school day. In fact, we became so good at the game we’d jump red shells like it was nothing - blame us for the blue shell ever becoming a thing.
  8. Wing Commander - frickin’ Kilrathi killed all my friends.
  9. Unreal Tournament
  10. Final Fantasy IV - first story that I can remember getting hooked on. Hit me right in the feels when I first arrived in the village of Mist and unleashed hell.

Wing Commander was a lot of fun.

1. No More Heroes 2 - is it perfect, hell no. But it was some of the most fun I’ve ever had in a game and thus it deserves my top spot
  2. Metal Gear Solid 3 - The best game technically I’ve ever played with game play balanced to a tee, great story, and so many ways to play you can’t argue this game is a masterpiece
  3. Metal Gear Solid 4 - It was a tough decision deciding between this and 3, but 4 gets the lower spot due to some annoyance. Either way its a lovely game and a great finale to the series
  4. Final Fantasy 6 - Why not as tight as Chrono Trigger, FF6 has a wonderful story with execelent characters on a truly epic quest against one of the best villians in the series. With plenty of replayability I always enjoy returning to this game
  5. Chrono Trigger - It just missed 4 by a hair, but Chrono Trigger is one of the best if not the best JRPG I ever played with a tight story, plenty of side content, and amazing characters. It is one of the most memorable games I’ve ever played and if you haven’t play it, FIX THAT!
  6. Pokemon Emerald - Here is my required nostalgia pick, but truly Pokemon Emerald is my childhood, with a lot of memory it earns a spot. Also doesn’t hurt that it help form the competitive variant of Pokemon.
  7. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulation - Even though it requires knowledge from previous games, this game has one the best stories in the series, a great new additions to the roster, and one of the best finales in a game
  8. Bioshock - I may not think this game is the greatest thing since slice bread, I feel this is a great example of how to create an amazing atmospheric game with tight controls and variety of way to play the game
  9. Super Mario World - The greatest platformer of all time, the best 2D Mario game, and masterpiece with almost no flaws
  10. XCOM: Enemy Unknown - 10th was tough, but I went with XCOM as you’ll pull your hair out and enjoy every second of it

Honorable Mentions
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - The best shooter ever
Fallout New Vegas - !@$#@! Cazadors!
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destines - Love the characters, but the story just fall short of Trials and Tribulations
Final Fantasy IV - Great Characters, but the story just wasn’t enough to break the top 10

Blasphemer!

Chrono Trigger and FF6 stories are just better and pushed 4 out of the top 10. But don’t worry you can continue to be a spoony bard.

It’s hard enough to pick my top 10, let alone rank them; consider this list to be in no particular order:

###1. Borderlands

I enjoyed both, and have hundreds of hours invested in them. Also, some of the most memorable game intros (especially the first one). Lilith was my main squeeze in the first title; Krieg was my boy for the second one.

###2. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

The only RPG I’ve ever played more than once; great setting, great character progression, great story, not-so-great trailer.

###3. Natural Selection (1 and 2)

A hybrid of FPS and RTS; it’s amazing.

###4. Guild Wars

The first MMO I got into and its sequel. They both are special to me in their own rights, and I have a staggering amount of hours in each of these games. Necro was my jam in 1; Engineer was life in 2.

###5. Super Conflict

This was the first strategy game I got into; we didn’t own a SNES, but my babysitter did, and I used to play it any chance I could.

###6. Dragon Warrior

When dad bought the family an NES, my brother and I were allowed to pick a game each. I had seen this game played at a birthday party and thought it looked amazing. I spent a good half hour or more looking at the back of game boxes at the store trying to find it because I didn’t remember the name. Worth.

###7. Minecraft

I go through phases with this game, but when it’s on, it is fucking on. I will binge for hours on end, days on end, getting minimal sleep and ignoring responsibilities without a second thought. I’m a recovering addict dreading my next relapse.

###8. Loot-grinders
I could make a whole list out of these, practically; Path of Exile, Diablo 2 and 3 (didn’t much care for 1), Torchlight, even the Borderlands franchise could even fit here. I love this style of game so much.

###9. Pokémon series

All of them.

###10. MUDs
Multi-User Dungeons/Dimensions, specifically the original TFE (The Forest’s Edge) before the drama, fracturing, and mod abuse, and Mystic Legends (@Diacuss, @stHeretic, @PreshusKitty, and a few others know what’s up). These text-based games were the original MMO’s running on the Telnet client; they were hardcore as fuck, and had generally-awesome communities. There are no videos really because, well, it’s all text. Fancy MUDs had ASCII art, but my group of friends preferred the text-only ones.

1. Mass Effect Series
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Skyrim
  4. Super Smash Bros (N64)
  5. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
  6. BF3
  7. GTA 5
  8. Force Unleashed (yes I loved those games)
  9. Star Citizen
  10. WoW

That moment when I left the entire Battlefield series off my list even though I’ve drained countless hours in almost every one since 1942…

BF4 is okay and BF1 is pretty awesome but I still spend time in BF3

BF1942 Desert Combat mod was my jam back in the day; took me for-fuck-ever to learn to fly the choppers, but if you could fly one well, you were almost unstopable :wink:

there was a missile launcher vehicle that I loved from that mod. When we move to battlefield 2, my friend would fly the chopper while I threw c4 out the window… fun times

The only one in order is the first one, most of the rest could easily be tied with honorable mentions. I chose all of these games based on either the impact they had on me as a gamer or the time I spent with people while playing them.

1. Shadow of the Colossus
It’s just the best.

2. Super Metroid and Metroid Prime
If I had to choose one, Super Metroid over Prime, but it’s a close call

3. Bionic Commando (NES)
First true obsession game, I remember the first time I beat it, best thing ever

4. Portal 1 (&2)
This game is what got me interested in making games that weren’t text based. Both of these games were just genius.

5. Borderlands 2
Before this game, I wasn’t really interested in first person shooters. This game was different and fun, not like most straight forward FPS’s

6. Thief: The Dark Project
First game I truly considered “my” game. I played the demo opening level like 100 times on a computer that would completely crash unexpectedly and often (crashing and getting back in game back then was like a 10-15 minute process each time). I actually played some of this recently and still love it so much, Thief 3 was good too. The new one I enjoyed but haven’t finished, it got a bad rap but it’s not that bad.

7. Street Fighter 2
Grew up with this, it was mine and my brother’s game, we played together quite a bit.

8. Everquest/WoW
What can I say, there was nothing like Everquest back in it’s prime. Then when wow came out, I thought it was a cartoony bastardization of EQ but I really enjoyed so much of it and for different reasons. Also, you could learn other languages in EQ… is that still a thing in any games? That should be brought back.

9. Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness
First excursion into computer games and really my first exposure to high fantasy of any kind. Not a strategy game player, but there is a special place in my heart for this one. Tried to like WC 3 but it just wasn’t my bag.

10. Overwatch
I was a little surprised to find myself putting this on the list above the honorable mentions but, if I’m honest with myself, this game is just amazing in so many ways. Without getting too much into design theory, this game touches on something so many games that could be awesome just miss: actions that can be both offensive and defensive. I’ll just say this, I love junkrat but not because he’s cheap or spammy, he’s actually got an amazing kit for most situations that makes me feel like I have options when encountering people and that’s important to me. My only complaint about the mechanics is that because the characters have to be balanced for online play, they are restricted to only a few actions each.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Cannot stress enough how close most of these were to getting into the top ten.

Zelda OOT
Super Mario Bros 3
Bloodborne/Darksouls series
Scratches
Zork
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide
Bioshock
Guns of Icarus
Edit: I took skyrim off the main list and forgot to put it here

Also:
God of War Series/Dante’s Inferno/Castlevania (PS3)/Uncharted Series
I lumped all those together because I love them for very similar reasons and these are the games my wife likes watching me play, they’re kind of “our” games.

Shadow of the Colossus PS4?

Fuck, another one I forgot about.

I believe Brad McQuaid is bringing that back in Pantheon. To me, it seems like an updated Everquest.

I made a lot of money in EQ by teaching other characters all the languages. Form a party, sit down, and spam my macros. Although I don’t recall any quests which required you to speak in a language other than Common. It was mostly a gimmick. I wish the language mechanic had been used to a greater degree.

I’ve never really considered a top 10 for video games. I think my list would contain mostly games which helped change the industry (DOOM, Everquest, GTA, Minecraft, Super Mario).

Oh gosh, I forgot about the hours I sunk into Bionic Commando.