Upgrading Monitor

Hey Guys…looking to maybe upgrade my monitor and I was wondering is it worth it to jump from a 6 year old 24in BenQ 1080 120hz monitor to a 27in 1440 144hz monitor?

I am starting to do the research and there are so many details to look at now like Freesync vs Gsync, TN vs IPS, etc…so if the upgrade is worth it, does anyone have opions of a good 27in 1440 144hz+ monitor? $700ish max.

ANNNNNNDDD…will my GPU (970) be ok if i am running 2 1080 monitors as secondary and the 1440 monitor for my gaming.

Thanks

We gotta know what your GPU is… lol

I’d love to see an updated monitor buying guide but I’m afraid I’ve been out of the game for a bit and I’m not up on the latest right now.

I use a 27" 1440@75Hz. As @Bradum and I have discussed on a few occasions, 144Hz is a bit excessive and unnecessary. I’m perfectly happy with my 75Hz.

I have not owned a monitor with Gsync, but to me it seems like a luxury. One I just don’t need. I also still use TN panels.

I currently have a 980Ti GPU with one 1080p secondary monitor. I haven’t noticed any problems. For a while I used the onboard GPU to run my 2nd monitor but that was kinda silly. My discrete GPU is more than capable of handling it.

Sorry, edited…970. Right now I have 2 1080, one 60hz and one 120hz, and a 60hz Dell dinky monitor running. Works fine.

I have a lot more to say on the topic, but I’ll write that when I’m not at work.

As for multiple monitors, the GPU power required to run a windows desktop is negligable compared to the amount it takes to run a game. Running extra displays (that aren’t displaying the game) will have little to no effect on performance.

That’s comforting about the triple monitors.

Looking forward to your longer response after work :slight_smile: .

Right now if you held a gun to me and made me choose a monitor I am between BenQ XL2730 and the Asus PG278Q (there are several Asus versions with little differences.)

Also, just to make this more complicated…some monitors are 1ms response while newer monitors are 4ms but with other additions. Didn’t think this process would be so difficult haha.

I have the Asus PB277Q. I think it’s a fine monitor.

You’d be surprised how smooth a 120hz is over 75hz. Made that jump 6 years ago.

Actually I wouldn’t. I owned a 144Hz before this one.

Edit - Maybe I should say that 144Hz isn’t worth nearly doubling the monitor’s price.

Interesting…was night and day for me.

Here it is! The Novel is finished!

So first, my recent monitor history:
ASUS MX279H – 27” - 1920x1080 – 60Hz – IPS (Calling “ASUS”)
ASUS ROG Swift – 27” - 2560x1440 – 144Hz – TN – G-Sync (Calling “ROG”)
Acer X34 Predator – 34” - 3440x1440 – 100Hz – IPS – G-Sync (Calling “Acer”)

Refresh Rate
This is going to vary by person, but this is what I’ve found in my experience.
60 -> 80Hz is huge
80 -> 100Hz is very noticeable
100 -> 120Hz is noticeable, but not significant
120 -> 144Hz is somewhat noticeable
144 -> 165Hz is barely noticeable
165 -> 165+ is a complete waste of money

Having gone from a 144Hz to a 100Hz monitor, I can tell you that in my experience it was a VERY minor difference and an easy tradeoff to make for the things I got on my Acer (Ultrawide, IPS, and Size).

Panel
TN
TN Panels are the fastest and most responsive. If you’re playing a lot of fast-twitch shooters at a high/professional level (CS:GO), or you’re only ever viewing it directly on, this is your panel. Going from my ROG TN, to my Acer IPS, I definitely did notice the TN has a bit more “snappyness” to it.

It’s downside is that it’s color reproduction is not good, and it suffers from pretty bad color shift when not viewing directly on. You can even experience color shift when viewing directly on if the monitor is big enough. If you’re a content creator and care about color accuracy at all, a TN panel will be unusable.

Personally, I found the color shift was noticeable even on a higher end panel. It was especially bad if I ever wanted to lie down on my bed while I watched a show. I’d have to get up every time I shifted positions to adjust the monitor, or just live with the color shift. Unfortunately I can’t talk to the color reproduction as I am color blind…

IPS
IPS Panels are only slightly slower than TN panels, but have no color shift and MUCH better color reproduction. If you’re a content creator or are buying a large monitor (Ultrawide), then an IPS panel is a MUST.

The downside to IPS panels is that (as mentioned before) they will generally have a slower pixel response time (~5ms vs 1ms), and they cost a decent amount more.

If all you care about is the viewing experience, and you’re not playing fast-twitch FPS games at a high level, I would say that IPS panels are the way to go for now.

OLED
OLED panels are superior to TN and IPS Panels in every way. They have faster pixel response times (0.001ms) and refresh rates than TN Panels, better color reproduction than IPS, no backlight bleed (because it has no backlight), and is the only type of panel that can produce true black (pixels off).

The downside to OLED? Availability and extreme cost. There are only one or two OLED monitors on the market, and it will run you ~$5000 for a 27”. Simply unaffordable for almost everyone.

The reason I mention OLED is that if you have a decent setup already, I would wait until OLEDs become more available/affordable before spending a bunch of $$ to upgrade due to how drastically superior OLED technology is.

Resolution
Higher resolution is pretty much always better, it just depends on whether it’s worth it for your use case.

For regular desktop use on a 27” monitor, I find that 1440p is the sweet spot. You have more screen real-estate than 1080p and a much sharper image, without the cost and windows scaling associated with 4K. On top of that, the difference in pixel density going from 1440p to 4k is barely noticeable at best on a 27” display.

Gaming gets a little more complicated as there are two variables to deal with when it comes to image quality; Resolution and Graphics Settings. This is where your GPU power comes in to play.
In terms of image quality in games, resolution plays a much smaller role in gaming than it does in regular desktop use. Games obviously look better at 1440p, but not massively… Especially compared to the performance hit. I find that graphics settings and refresh rate have a much bigger impact on the visual quality of the game.

Essentially, if you have to turn down graphics settings or play at a lower FPS to run the game at a higher resolution, the resolution increase is not worth it. Your game will look better at 1080p Ultra than it will at 1440p Medium.

G-Sync and Freesync
Nice technologies to have, but not really worth going out of your way to get unless you either play professionally or want to commit to one GPU vendor for the entire lifetime of the monitor. Pretty much everything else to do with the monitor is more important.

My Recommendation
Of course, it depends…

Personally, I wouldn’t spend money to upgrade from 120Hz to 144Hz (not a big enough difference to me). And, if at all possible, I’d be waiting for OLED monitors. But here is a breakdown of some possible situations and my recommendations:

Want to play AAA games in 1440p? Nope (you’d have to turn down graphics with your 970).

Want games like HotS, DotA, CS:GO, Rocket League to look sharper and run smoother? Sure!

Want the benefits of an IPS for content creation/viewing experience? Sure!

Want a higher resolution for a better desktop experience? Sure!

Whelp. Hope that helps!

Upgrading Monitor Setup

Bro…this is awesome. This is everything I was trying to collect on the interwebs. We should definitely make this a current monitor buying guide.

I think you talked to my wife and she had some influence on you veering me away from buying one, haha. I usually have monitors for a good while and I am surprised my 1080 120hz is still holding up so well so thought I’d do some research and see if it would be a significant upgrade. Looks like I might watch some OLEDs for now and hold off on a 144hz since I am not a fan of lowering some GFX (if you think that will 100% be the case on my 970). You think GFX settings would need to be adjusted on Dota/Overwatch/CS:GO, I guess I don’t play as many AAA titles as i thought :slight_smile: .

I guess another question I have is do you think 4k monitors for gaming will be prevalent soon? Will they just surpass 1080 and 1440 in the gaming world? Should I hold out on a 4k TN/IPS or even 4k OLED (idk what resolution OLEDs are).

Thanks, again! I will probably have some more questions as I ponder on my way home from work!

Overwatch is the only one your GPU might struggle with at 1440p. DotA and CS:GO are EZPZ.

4K gaming is 100% not worth it. WAYYYY too hard to run (my $1200 Titan XP can’t do moderately demanding games 4k60fps)… And 4k is barely noticeable vs 1440p.

I will note that at least with Freesync, there’s next-to-no price difference versus a similar monitor without it; Gsync, on the other hand, can add a fair bit to the cost of a monitor. It might not be terrible to get a monitor with Freesync in case you end up with an AMD in the future.

So 1440 144hz is the way to go? Just need a fast enough GPU to handle running games at that resolution. I plan on building a brand new PC in the next 5 years. I guess having a 27in 1440 144hz can’t hurt with my current setup and will have a brand new monitor for when i eventually build…

Now that the intense stuff is out of the way…what TN 27in 1440p 144hz would you recommend?

Can’t see myself buying an AMD in the near future unless they take over the game…but yea Gsync adds like 200-300 to the cost.

Yeah, the monitor I’m using currently that will be going to @PreshusKitty shortly has Freesync, even though we both currently run Nvidia (and probably will for its lifespan, honestly); I just wanted to point out that it’s not a feature to specifically avoid because it makes none-to-little impact on the cost of the monitor :wink:

Yea I got ya…can’t hurt for the just in case :wink: .

I’d probably recommend this one. There are cheaper ones, but buying a cheap TN panel can be REALLY bad.