Weird Ark issues all of a sudden

Hey guys! So it’s been a little while. I’ve been obsessing over Ark lately(might even borderline unhealthy :wink:) and all of a sudden my Ark has been having a weird issue. My game loads in and I get like 120 fps, then over the course of about 20 minutes, my FPS slowly degrades to about 25 fps, then it freezes and stutters. Then once it recovers, the fps shoots back up to 120. Rinse and repeat. Has anyone else experienced this?

Things I’ve tried:
Update video drivers
Reinstall Ark
Move it off hard drive to a different drive
Validate game files
Adjust Nvidia settings
Put Ark in full screen and windowed
Play ark in dx10 and normal

I’m lost as I don’t know what causes it. It kind of feels like the driver is crashing, but recovers before the game closes. It hangs anywhere from 10 seconds to indefinite and I have to close the game manually.

I do run a dedicated server in my own house, so I have local access to it. Could this be a server setting? Or is it GPU related? Any help would be greatly appreciated. As you can imagine this is extremely annoying. Thanks everyone!

That’s sounds very memory-leak-esque; if you’ve got a 2nd monitor, bring up your Task Manager and watch your RAM usage as you’re playing. Also, run something like HWMonitor and see what your GPU temps are looking like.

My GPU temps stay around 70-72 Degrees. Which is still within safe temperature range for the GTX 770, however I did find out that my card is automatically downclocking itself. Like it goes from 1280 mhz to around 1020 mhz and I lose a bunch of frames and eventually the game hangs for like 10 seconds. After the hang it ramps back up to 1280 mhz and is fine.

I’m beginning to think it’s a driver issue. However it was like 5 updates out of date, then I updated and it’s still doing it

Are you running the server on the same pc you are playing on, or do you have a dedicated rig for that? Running the world might be too much for your pc to handle. Maybe load up on an official server or the strats server and play for awhile and see if you have the same problem.

Hey biggles! Nope, I have a dedicated server machine running the server. Specs are:

Dell T310
Windows Server 2012 R2
8GB DDR3 RAM
Xeon x3400 series 2.4ghz cpu
1tb Storage in RAID1

I played on a another friends server, and it doesn’t seem to do it. They play unmodded regular map. So I’ve narrowed it down to either 1 of 3 things, my server computer(which I doubt), The Map, or a Mod(which is probably the case). I just have to go through the tedious process of figuring out which one it is. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Edit: also, I have a 60mbps down/5mbps upload speed.

I get much better frame rates on the vanilla map and depending on the mods the issue might be there. Some mods aren’t exactly optimized very well. If you can play vanilla just fine then the problem may be in there.

If it’s not a hassle try running a vanilla unmodded map on your server and if it works fine start adding in your mods one by one until the problem pops up.