What is the next MMO?

With all the MMOs in market either being WoW clones, bogged down with boring combat or hit-it-and-quit-it games I wonder what the next big MMO to come out will be.

this article, while about a game, got me thinking on the topic.

Could a survival MMO be the next big thing?

With the popularity of survival games it seems like melding the two makes sense.

Crowfall is probably the best example of a survival-MMO. Sort-of persistent worlds (your current world eventually “dies” and you have to move to a new campaign), many people online together at once.

Conan Exiles looks to be a neat survival game which goes into Early Access tomorrow. So far all the servers I’ve seen have a cap of 30-70 people.

I question whether the mmorpg genre as most of us remember it (romanticize it?) is still viable. There may have been a relatively short window where these games truly shined. It was a mix of the high anonymity of the internet, the 3D avatar adoption model, and introduction of internet speeds that can support real time combat.

Everquest, Anarchy Online, SWG, WOW, games where people were living in the environments and taking on avatars. Is this something that makes sense in 2017+?

It’s interesting to think about.

EQ: Next was supposed to be something along the lines of an open world MMO with destructive terrain and such. It’s a shame it will never ever EVER come out.

I really wonder with the nature of MMOs and how people interact with each other if a survival MMO would make it financially.

I pull from Black Desert online for this, while you can’t destroy things, the world is largely intractable and you still have people fighting for controlled resources frequently. Would a singular server even be possible or would that lead to a clusterfuck? I know everyone wants only 1 server but I don’t think that is attainable anymore with the level of interaction that people want with one another. In black desert online guilds control channels (Server > Channel > Sub Area in Channel) and that seems to work out well. You have one main server and a ton of sub servers that you can switch between.

The follow up to that is I know a ton of people that HATE PvP…but I feel that while I don’t love PvP it is a natural thing in the case of a survival game. I feel that a survival game without PvP in some sense would just die pretty quick because it wouldn’t really satisfy anyones itch.

@teh_ninjaneer, you mention Crowfall, I too am interested in seeing that game now that I’ve seen Albion a little bit and was just unimpressed by the speed and pacing of the game. I feel like a game that forces you to progress at a certain speed just becomes tedious at some point. I want to explore with a sense that I will be in danger if I do but I have the possibility of nice rewards if I choose to wander. I don’t know if that will ever be the case in an MMO since once a place like that is found, people farm the heck out of it.

Ultimately though I think survival is the way of the future MMO games that really break attract people.

I think those games have reached their apex.

Survival games are drifting into the realm of MMO.

You look at Conan with it’s small server MMO mentality and in-general there are a ton of games out right now that build on survival roots but aren’t really MMOs. Steam lists over 200 games with the tags survival and Multi-player (Some of them add-on packs) and a lot of them are ideas reborn as survival games.

First post homiez! :laughing: – I’d like to think, with the rapidly growing popularity of eSports as whole, that combo-based MMOs will start to evolve the genre. It’s an impressive idea, bringing a complex fighting-game element into an open-world, but look at how massively popular Dark Souls became.

Much of what made Dark Souls so great came from fighting games -

• the ligament-based moveset
  • the growing challenge over time as you push forward and have to learn more in-depth mechanics
  • the beyond-norm will to repeat and learn from repetition needed to conquer
  • lore that is based most on how users perceive the world and characters, not cutscenes or long segments of dialogue.

eSports is more than just fighting games though, it’s FPSs, MOBAs, RTSs, etc., but each of these games have a dynamic element that requires a level of immersion that almost - if not completely - exploits the games themselves, the same dynamic elements that could be brought into MMOs with a combo-based combat element. Thus, there’s nothing to say that elements from competitive team shooters like CS:GO or Insurgency can’t make their way into survival games also, should they continue to enter the MMO realm.

I see that movement in general as the “next big thing” for MMOs.

thought this fit well, LOL

I can see survival mmo getting bigger. In general though I think we’re headed towards more manageable infrastructure. Games like Destiny where there’s this quasi-mmo feeling but is really just a lobby. Even in more traditional MMO releases that get marketed as such, they seem to shard and instance the zones heavily.

People are really going to have to get over the whole shard / instance deal. It was the main talking point in BDO and it seems to be a trend on the PvP game front. I know you weren’t saying YOU had an issue with it but it has been brought up before in other forums / locations.

Combat needs to take a massive step in the survival genre. Some of them use a really fluid system where you are fighting in real time like in a fighting game (street fighter / those genres) where others just basically treat combat like a potatofest where you have just 2 people slugging at eachother til one dies, jousting in and out. Jousting needs to be totally situational and not a complete combat solution. I like the idea of “For Honor” where you have real-time combat and defense in the same scene but I don’t like locking players to targets.

If more games shift towards the Destiny model and away from open world gaming there will be a tipping point where a new MMO will come out because of market demand. That multi-player system isn’t bad but there are still a ton of people who want to play in an MMO. Most of the data I see comes from asia and their money in the MMO scene is massive.