What Is/Was Your Best Gaming Peripheral Setup?

I mean, if you want to pay extra so the keyboard that has to endure such rigors as “sitting on a hard, flat, unforgiving desk all day” and “being viciously assaulted by up to 10 human digits at a time” can be made from aluminium, be my guest :wink:

1 Like

The K95 is $10 more when they’re regular price… it has way more macro buttons, isn’t a plastic POS, and doesn’t look like it’s out of a bad '60s sci-fi movie.

Logitech is garbage for build quality. I’ll gladly concede that they have better software, but I spend about 1% of my time in the software and 99% of my time actually using the product.

0 Likes

I owned it,

and it was kinda shite; I now own a solid-plastic Logitech keyboard,

and I’m happy again :wink:

K.

For that matter, @Philspaz has my old G930 I bought back in 2010 (maybe late 2009; I can’t remember for sure); spoiler alert: it still works too :wink:

In my opinion, the flaw in your thinking is that the software is somehow not related to the quality of the product or enjoyment/usability thereof. Without the software that K95 had no macros button functionality and was nothing more than a mostly mechanical keyboard (that’s right, not all those keys are even mechanical); it was literally an overpriced base-line keyboard at that point. I’ll take the product that works (bells, whistles, and all) as intended. Also, my G910 keyboard is rocking Strats green-colored key lighting (it’s RGB, you can change the color of each key individually) and isn’t (to me) overly-odd in its design, so (to me) it

:wink:

0 Likes

1. It’s unfortunate that you had a bad experience with your K95. I used a K90 for quite a while and, while the software wasn’t the smoothest, it worked just fine. Essentially it was a little bit clunky, but I didn’t have to go change things too often so it didn’t matter. Only reason I switched to the K70 was because I felt it was too long and taking up too much room on my desk.

2. Looking like it’s out of a bad '60s sci-fi movie has nothing to do with the backlight color.

3. Congrats. You’ve had a single logitech product that has lasted a long time. Not exactly a large sample size. I had a G5 mouse I had to send in (I gave it to my brother when I got my new mouse… It’s dead now), and I had to send in my G10 keyboard twice (it broke, they send me a new one, and that one broke). Software was good. Too bad I didn’t have the product to use.

Edit:

Just did a quick google search. The first 5 places:

• PC Mag
  • Engadget
  • Top 10 Reviews
  • Guru 3D
  • PC World

Every single one rated the K95 better than the Orion G910.

0 Likes

Aesthetics can be debated ad nauseum; you’re welcome to your feelings on the matter, I just disagree :wink:

I cited 2 different products up there, but I’m happy to go further:

In over 15 years, I’m on my 5th keyboard (3rd one by Logitech. The first 2 of which were rubber-dome and I owned the K95 before the current G910; the 5th keyboard was a wireless one I owned while living in Japan and the dongle broke when I hit it with my chair). I’ve owned a handful of mice (Basic 2-botton types, a Naga, a Naga Elite, and an M.M.O.7 in addition to my G600; I’m more happy with my current one than I’ve ever been previously) and 5-6 headsets (2-3 not-gaming/generic headsets, a G35 that I replaced and gave away to @esmm40 (it would have been ~2 years old at this point) when I upgraded in 2009-2010 for a G930 that I thought was going out but turned out to be the shitty, ungrounded power in the government housing I was living in at the time; @Philspaz still owns and uses that set, which I replaced with the G930 I still own); I mean, maybe I just have the luck of the gods, but it could also be that many people on the internet exaggerate the lack-of durability some products are purported to have in conjunction with expounding the high life expectancy others have.

In all honestly, I'm citing a wide range of their products and you're pointing to a single failing with a device you had. I had similar trouble with @PreshusKitty's EVGA GTX 680 where the first one started artifacting on day 2 after install. We sent it back and got another that started artifacting from go. The next (3rd) one is still in her computer some 3 years later and working like a champ. The point I'm trying to draw is an isolated incident does not a pattern establish (and while I myself could be a statistical anomaly, it's a much-higher degree of unlikely than the single instance you've reference ;)). Redacted due to edits/misreading ;)
0 Likes

Two products failed multiple times… that’s 4 logitech products that broke for me…

Also… see any review site on the internet to tell you who has better products.

0 Likes

I just checked the reviews on strats.co for peripherals; it seems like there are a lot of good products by multiple brands and opinions on the matter vary widely (though are generally thought-out, informative, and accurate to the individual user’s experience) :wink:

1 Like

I like my PC peripherals like I like my women.

Plastic.

2 Likes

And that concludes tonight’s episode of Mohomo hates Logitech and Auth loves it. Stay tuned for a new episode no doubt coming next time someone asks for help selecting peripherals.

1 Like

Does anyone have a mechanical keyboard that isn’t loud and they would recommend? I want one but I use my computer in my living area. The only issue I’ve had with logitech is that their most current software (that is used for all devices) works on windows 7 and 10 but not 8.1 (downloaded a legacy driver and now I’m extremely happy). Like Auth said, I’ve got his old headset and it works like a charm.

0 Likes

I don’t think there are really any quiet mechanical keyboards… Just less-loud.

MX Brown switches have a tactile response like the loud clicky blue ones, but are much quieter.

MX Red switches have no tactile response and are quieter.

0 Likes

Here’s a website that shows all the different switches and what they do.

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

I believe Logitech’s Romer G switches are similar to the MX Brown

0 Likes

In all honestly, @Philspaz, the stealth version of Razer’s products are pretty quiet, as is the G910, but beyond that (like @Mohomohommad was saying) look into what MX key they come with (Razer and Logitech are both using proprietary ones now, which is why I mention them specifically).

1 Like

“A potted history of Cherry”… don’t you mean… pitted…

1 Like

I have heard not particularly good things about the Razer mechanical keyboards… I haven’t really heard any bad experiences with the Romer G switches. I think the Romer G switches are much more similar to the Cherry MX ones than the Razer ones are.

0 Likes

I had no idea that the G13 was so cheap. I kinda want one now.

This is my keyboard
It’s a Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard

This is my mouse
CM Storm Recon - Ambidextrous 4000 DPI Gaming Mouse with Multicolor LEDs for Left and Right Handed Users

0 Likes

Actually, I think it’s the other way around:

##Cherry MX Switches

##Razer Orange Switch

##Logitech Romer-G

0 Likes

Nope. Red is linear, brown is tactile, and blue is tactile and clicky.

0 Likes

@PreshusKitty had a SIDEWINDER X6 for several years

before switching to the Razer BlackWidow Chroma Stealth

0 Likes

Also, back to helping OP… Since neither the G910 or the K95 are in his price range.

If you’re going to spend less than $100, I wouldn’t get a mechanical keyboard. It’s likely lacking in some way to get it down to that price.

0 Likes