What streaming on Twitch has done to my life

I assume most of you all saw this already based on the recent popularity of the clip but I thought it was interesting enough to start a discussion around.

Now and then I’ve seen this discussion come up in #streaming.

A few months ago I found a Twitch community for “small streamers”. At the time it was relatively new but it blew up quickly as more people discovered it and found it as a source to achieve affiliate status.

I think a lot of the members will end up like this guy. Many of them go straight to green screens and 2-PC streaming setups before even reaching affiliate status. They start out trying to stream for 4+ hours per day, on top of having a job, because they believe that exposure is what will get them that affiliate badge. But then they choose to stream games like PUBG, Fortnite or Overwatch.

But they feel that this is the way to be successful because some internet streaming guide told them so.

He certainly talks a lot about how often he streamed, how he spent money to improve production value, how he tried to meet the right people… But he never addresses what he did to make his content appealing to people.
You can know everyone, have the best production, and stream 24/7, but if your actual content is boring you’re never going to get anywhere. Simply streaming yourself playing a game with no other redeeming qualities to your stream, just like. 80,000 other people are doing, is never going to get you large viewership.

#NailedIt

While investing in a higher production stream definitely helps, it’s probably best to see if people like your content first. If people don’t find your content entertaining then all the gear in the world won’t help you. Perfect example; let’s take a look at Ninja’s streaming setup (img below)… Some $100 webcam in his messy room… Production quality is far from everything.

Also, a lot of people look at the number of people who watch that game and think it automatically equates to more viewers for themselves. What they don’t take into account is that there are also way more streamers making it even harder for you to stand out.

I’d like to think my grounded approach worked well, and could work well for others. Sure I invested in some production equipment, yet the caveat to the purchase was it’s cross-compatibility to what I already do IRL. And beyond this, I set a very achievable goal - I focused on only getting to affiliate and provided a very generous time-frame to do that.

It’s all about the small steps, yet so many take giant leaps.