Windows Defender Hates Me

Alright so I’m having a bit of an issue here. Ever since the talk about Windows Defender being a sufficient antivirus, I decided to go back to using it because I hate using most AV software anyway… only to find out I cannot turn it on again. if I click on it in the tray, nothing happens. If I go into the Action Center and click “turn on Windows Defender” I get a wait mouse for a quarter of a second, and then nothing.

Now, this has been a problem for about a week now, and I’m feeling extra vulnerable because of it, but I don’t know what to do. Microsoft wants to charge me to fix it, and I’m POSITIVE I can make it work on my own, I just don’t know what I’m missing.

So I retraced my steps. I re-installed the two softwares that I’ve had on my PC, and did a clean uninstall, restarting in-between each. I used Revo Uninstall, Advanced options, which allows me to pull out App Data, Registry data, etc.

I then google searched some things about WD, and found there are some registry edits you can make to turn in on, changing a 1 to a 0 or something like that, but it doesn’t even let me make those changes.

I’ve run CCleaner, Anti-Malware Software, Spybot, Disk Cleanup, and Disk Defragmenter to see if anything is hiccuping the system… nothing. I’m completely at a loss. Any thoughts on what could be preventing Windows Defender from turning back on?

Windows 8.1? Are you up to date on Windows Update patches? Any optional updates in WU that mention Windows Defender?

I had this problem as well until I uninstalled my free McAfee from store bought installation. I couldn’t do anything with Windows Defender until I fully uninstalled it, then it ran completely fine.

Not sure why this would affect it, but it worked, so no complaining on my end.