Wurm Online — The Sandbox MMO

wurm

Hello Strats.co fam!

Over the past several days, and a lot last night, myself and a few other Strats members discussed the idea of exploring the very unknown MMO, Wurm Online. I played Wurm for quite a while, but due to the fact of not having a good community to play with, I slowly lost interest. Wurm is a unique game in the sense that it cannot be successful without a good, core group of individuals willing to help make the town grow.

This is where you come in! Wurm Online is free to play, however there is an optional monthly fee of 8 euros ($8.90 USD). The main issue with Basic is that you cannot raise skills over the level cap (20). However, if there is some interest in building this village, I can pay for a month or two of premium on my end, start the town, and begin building homes so that incoming players have some areas to work with.

If we can have a core group of gamers willing to start up in this game, I think we can build a pretty interesting society. If there is interest, we will have to come up with a server we wish to inhabit, and then find some land to claim as our own. We can continue to grow our village size as needed.

Details

In order for this to work, we will have to work together in order to build a protected village as well as work to create items (ships, animals, wagons) in order to build income. Wurm is very reliant on player to player help, and there is something for everyone.

Some skills you can focus in are:

• Animal taming
  • Animal husbandry
  • Blacksmithing
  • Carpentry
  • Ship Building
  • Farming
  • Alchemy
  • and many more…

Click here for a complete list of skills!

About Wurm

"Wurm Online is the MMORPG where the players are in
charge! Developed around the idea of player influence, it remains one
of the only Sandbox MMOs worthy of the term.
Whether you enjoy conquering kingdoms, building your home or hunting dragons, Wurm will let you.
Explore the world and make your mark!"

Wurm is PC/Mac/Linux/etc. and is run through a Java client, so almost anyone can play! (Sorry console people)

Website // Wiki Page

Thanks!

Message me, comment here, or hit me up in Mumble with any questions you might have!

McKenzie (W1thl0v3)

I signed up for an account a while ago but never really tried it out. I’d be willing to help out some, I’m having a hard time getting into eso for some reason and think it might be the building a community aspect–something I really liked about minecraft. It looks like Albion will this have too.

Sorry to hear you have had a difficult time with ESO, but I definitely understand where you are coming from. My only squabble with this game itself is that the graphics are not great. It definitely has a sort of Minecraft feel to it, and I believe has some of the same developers as minecraft. I would say that this is a lot like minecraft, but a much more in depth game. With hundreds of tools, armor, etc to make, it is extremely difficult to succeed without a community.

This looks interesting. I’ll give it a try.

Maybe after I finish Witcher ill look at this to pass some time.

I’m going to look at this tonight and I would be down to do some stuff on the weekend as long as @wayward holds my hand.

I know what job @Droul would pick :wink:

@sirpunchface You should look into Albion Online and Crowfall.

Check this post

I am SO EXCITED for Crowfall. It looks exactly like what I want.

I’m down to play any of these. Any game where I get to build stuff I loved it. I played rust very heavily on release. I believe I’ll try wurm tonight.

If I remember correctly Notch actually worked on this game before starting Mojang and creating minecraft. I have always wanted to try this game and might be willing to give it a go if i had a group of people to play with consistently. Only problem I can for see is that this game will probably require a huge time investment in order to see anything truly rewarding. And unfortunately that’s just not something I have in abundant quantities anymore :frowning:

I agree @Sarathil and that’s the only issue I can see in the future. I think it would be a more lax game we could be involved with (if there is enough interest in getting a village started).

I’m willing to try it out, but I’m definitely going to be a casual player. Between destiny and witcher and work, I won’t be able to devote too much time.

@W1thl0v3, are you currently playing this? I can’t seem to get it to download. I wanted to check it out.

As of right now, I’m not playing it. I discussed it with a few other players who were interested and we agreed we could probably better spend our time and efforts elsewhere. The overall consensus was that the UI was clunky and awkward, and that the community drive towards this game would be unsustainable.

Roger!

So, like I mentioned in my introduction thread I just moved over to Linux for my gaming desktop and Wurm Online is one of the few MMO’s out there that natively run on Linux. I played Darkfall extensively and loved the concept. I too am looking into Albion but if we did start Wurm while we wait for Albion (Beta might start 4Q 2015 and so release won’t be until 2Q or 3Q 2016) I would be interested in trying it out!